Grilled Asian BBQ Chicken & Green Onions
If you like BBQ then you absolutely have to try this Asian BBQ chicken. On a night when you are trying to figure out something easy, but different, this is perfect. Anyone can open a bottle of BBQ sauce, instead take the extra 10 minutes to make your own! You can store this sauce in a mason jar refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
The trick to this chicken is in the preparation as well as the cooking. Butterfly cut, marinade, grill super hot and fast. Also, grilling the green onions right up next to the chicken gives an amazing smokey, onion flavor to the chicken. Serve with the green onion. Make sure to try a bite with the chicken! It is delicious.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 green onions
- salt & pepper
- Sesame seeds
- To butterfly the chicken, place knife against the side and cut into the middle. Unfold to open
- Season with salt & pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients (except the green onions) mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- Chop one green onion and add to the marinade.
- Pour half of the marinade into a small sauce pan.
- Place chicken in the marinade, cover and let refrigerate for 15 minutes .
- Bring the marinade in the sauce pan to a boil, let boil for 2 minutes, reduce to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Sauce will thicken upon standing.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. If your grill has a temperature gauge, heat until it reaches 500 degrees.
- Brush the chicken on both sides with BBQ sauce. Place on the grill. Sear for 3 minutes. Flip. Brush with more BBQ sauce. Sear for 3 minutes.
- Add the last two green onions to the grill right up next to the chicken. Grill them while the chicken finishes.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook for an additional 5 minutes or until juices run clear.
Pairs wonderfully with our Honey Sesame Ginger Roasted Carrots!