With Sausage, Peppers and Onions!
Tortilla pizza is an absolute favorite in our house. The tortilla gets nice and crispy, but stays just right in the middle. When I first started making our pizza this way, I was afraid the tortilla may not hold up to the sauce and toppings. I found that as long as you cook it hot enough, the bottom cooks just right and everything comes out perfectly!
When I decided that we were eating clean from now on I was scared. I am Greek and grew up in a family where everything was celebrated with food. At first we started off slowly. As I read more labels and became more aware, I said Nope. Done. Cold turkey. We are not eating this and that anymore. The first to go was sugar. The next thing, anything white. I have trained myself to basically treat those things like the plague. My biggest problem? PIZZA. How in the world was I going to give up pizza? The trick is to not give it up. Find a healthier version and make it yourself.
After having this pizza, I never crave the fatty, greasy, traditional pizza.
NOTE* dates are used to make the sauce thicker and give it a slight sweet flavor which cuts the acid in the tomatoes. I use dates for everything!! This quick video will show you a bit about how!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 Multi Grain Tortilla- Burrito Size
- 2 large vine ripe tomatoes
- 5 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped
- (a mixture of basil, parsley, thyme and oregano)
- 1/2 cup turkey sausage
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella (a low fat cheese)
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425
- To make the sauce- add the tomatoes, dates, garlic, fresh herbs, 1 tablespoon Olive oil and a pinch of salt & pepper to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium , add turkey sausage, peppers and onions. Cook until sausage is done.
- Place tortillas on a sheet pan, top with sauce, mozzarella and the sausage peppers mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are crispy.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? Try pairing our Tomato Cucumber Salad with it!